House Leek, Hens and ChicksItem no. V3101, V3101T/P
- ApeX Pellet: Easy sowing, increased young plant yield, chemical free treated
- Mixture of a variety of colors
- Succulent leaf rosettes
- Non-branching flower spikes
- Evergreen, winter-hardy
- Attractive structural plant for rock gardens, mixed containers, green roofs
- Use also as indoor plant
2″ / 6 cm
ApeX Pelleted & ApeX Raw
- Uses: Attractive plants for rock garden and dry stone walls, pot plants, plants for graves, ornamental leaf plant, plants attract bees, extensive roof planting
- Exposure: Sun
- Garden height: 2″ / 6 cm
- Crop time: 8-10 months
- Sow time: January-March for green pots; June-August for flowering in pots the following year
- Sowing method: 3-5 seeds per plug
Germinates in 14-25 days at 65-72 °F (18-22 °C). Cover seed lightly after sowing.
These seeds germinate rapidly depending on species and origin. If germination does not occur after 3–4 weeks a cooling period of 2–4 weeks is recommended.
- Growing On: Transplant plugs after 11-12 weeks. Grow on at 60-65 °F (15-18 °C).
- Media: Use a well-drained, growing substrate with 0-15 % clay, 0-15 % parts (e.g. bark, wood fibres, perlite, sand),1-1,5 kg/m³ complete balanced fertilizer, 1-2 kg/m³ slow release fertilizer (3-9 months), iron-chelate, micronutrients, pH: 5.5-7.0.
- Temperature: Grow at 10-18 °C or outdoors. In winter indoors frost free at 3-5 °C or outdoors. Outdoor fleece cover needed. For wintering the roots development should be very good. In spring the plants start to grow for 10-12 weeks at 15-18 °C. Cold temperatures of 10-12 °C will increase the cultivation time. A chilling period (vernalization) is required for flower initiation.
- Fertilization: Low-moderate fertilization levels are required. Fertilize the crop weekly with 80-100 ppm nitrogen (at 2 kg/m³ slow release fertilizer in substrate), using a complete balanced fertilizer. Avoid high ammonium and high nitrogen levels. Very high nitrogen levels in substrate cause shoot stretching and the shoots fall apart. Don’t fertilize after mid September. In spring fertilize 80-100 ppm nitrogen of a complete balanced fertilizer. Prevent magnesium deficiency by applying magnesium sulphate (0,05 %) 1-2 times and in case of iron deficiency (above pH 6.0) apply iron-chelate for 1-2 times.
* Germination Stages (from seed to finished young plant)
Stage I Starts with the radicle breaking through the testa. The roots are touching the medium.
Ends with fully developed cotyledons.
Stage II Starts from fully developed cotyledons. Ends with the fully developed true leaf or true leaf pair.
Stage III Starts from the fully developed true leaf or true leaf pair and ends with 80% of the young plants being marketable.
Stage IV All young plants are ready for sale and in the process of being hardened off. This stage lasts about 7 days.
The cultural recommendations are based on results from trials conducted under Central European conditions. Different conditions in other parts of the world may lead to deviations in results achieved.