Chinese Delphinium, LarkspurItem no. K3640
- Profusely branching genetically compact dwarf larkspur with masses of flowers in attractive colours
- The SUMMER series is earlier to flower with better heat tolerance than other delphiniums of this type
- All colours do not require vernalisation and can be grown as annuals
- Ideal bedding or in gardeniers
12″ / 30 cm
Sun - Partial shade
- Uses: Perennial, first year flowering. Bedding and border plants, pot and mixed containers.
- Exposure: Sun - Partial shade
- Garden height: 12″ / 30 cm
- Crop time: 16-20 weeks
- Sow time: December-May
- Sowing method: 2-3 seeds per plug
- Germination*: 14-18 days at 68-72 °F (20-22 °C). Cover seed lightly and maintain constant humidity levels during Stage I.
- Growing On: Transplant plugs 6-8 weeks after sowing into 3.5" (9 cm) to 1 quart (1 liter) containers. For larger containers, use 3 plants per pot. Avoid planting plugs too deep. Provide good ventilation. Begin fertilizing at 200 ppm nitrate nitrogen in a 2-1-2 ratio fertilizer mix. Avoid soluble salt buildups. Finish at temperatures of 45-75 °F (7-24 °C). Temperatures above 85 °F (29 °C) can cause flower abortion. Temperatures below 55 °F (13 °C) under short days will cause plants to form rosettes and will delay flowering. At lower temperatures, use extended day length or night interruption with incandescent lights to avoid rosette formation.
- Media: Use a well-drained media, pH: 5.8-6.5.
- Temperature: Grow at 13-16 °C or outdoors.
- Fertilization: Moderate fertilization levels are required.
* Germination Stages (from seed to finished young plant)
Stage I Starts with the radicle breaking through the testa. The roots are touching the medium.
Ends with fully developed cotyledons.
Stage II Starts from fully developed cotyledons. Ends with the fully developed true leaf or true leaf pair.
Stage III Starts from the fully developed true leaf or true leaf pair and ends with 80% of the young plants being marketable.
Stage IV All young plants are ready for sale and in the process of being hardened off. This stage lasts about 7 days.
The cultural recommendations are based on results from trials conducted under Central European conditions. Different conditions in other parts of the world may lead to deviations in results achieved.