Scabiosa japonica var. Alpina
ScabiosaItem no. V2240
- Upscale Appeal
- Tight, compact habit does not require PGR's in prodution
- Durable garden and container beauty
7″ / 18 cm
Sun - Partial shade
Pots, perennial borders and cottage garden, combination planters; attracts bees and
- Exposure: Sun - Partial shade
- Garden height: 7″ / 18 cm
- Crop time: 14-16 weeks
- Sow time: January-March for flowering in pots from June onwards; June-August for flowering in pots the following year
- Sowing method: 1-2 seeds per plug
- Germination*: Stage 1 (10-12 days)
Transplant plugs after 5-6 weeks. Maintain temperatures of 55-65 °F
(13-18 °C). Place plants under LD conditions to promote flowering. Fertilize at
150-200 ppm nitrate nitrogen on a weekly basis. Maintain pH levels of 5.5-6.0
and EC levels of 1.0.
Use a well-drained, growing substrate with 15-30 % clay, 0-20 % parts (e.g. bark, perlite,
sand), 1,5-3 kg/m³ complete balanced fertilizer, 0-2 kg/m³ slow release fertilizer (3-9 months),
iron-chelate, micronutrients, pH 5.8-6.5.
- Temperature: Grow at 12-15 °C or outdoors. In winter indoors frost-free at 3-5 °C or outdoors.
Moderate fertilization levels are required. Fertilize the crop weekly with 130-150 ppm
nitrogen (at 2 kg/m³ slow release fertilizer in substrate), using a complete balanced fertilizer. Don’t
fertilize after mid September. In spring fertilize 130-150 ppm nitrogen of a complete balanced
fertilizer. Prevent magnesium deficiency by applying magnesium sulphate (0,05 %) 1-2 times and
in case of iron deficiency (above pH 6.0) apply iron-chelate
for 1-2 times.
* Germination Stages (from seed to finished young plant)
Stage I Starts with the radicle breaking through the testa. The roots are touching the medium.
Ends with fully developed cotyledons.
Stage II Starts from fully developed cotyledons. Ends with the fully developed true leaf or true leaf pair.
Stage III Starts from the fully developed true leaf or true leaf pair and ends with 80% of the young plants being marketable.
Stage IV All young plants are ready for sale and in the process of being hardened off. This stage lasts about 7 days.
The cultural recommendations are based on results from trials conducted under Central European conditions. Different conditions in other parts of the world may lead to deviations in results achieved.