Brainiac Mix (incl. Robo Red)
CockscombItem no. H4231
- Dense crested heads in vibrant hot colors
- Early flowering with a compact and uniform habit
- Recommended for commercial bench run in pots or packs
- Heat lover, loves full sun and hot summer conditions in moderate climates
- Also very well suited for use in landscape settings
6″ / 15 cm
- Uses: Mass plantings, specimen plant and mixed containers
- Exposure: Sun
- Garden height: 6″ / 15 cm
- Crop time: 10-11 weeks
- Sow time: January-June
- Sowing method: 1 seed per plug
- Germination*: 11-12 days at 73-78 °F (23-25 °C). Light is required for germination. To prevent premature flowering, minimize stress due to high light levels and low moisture and fertilizer levels.
- Growing On: Transplant plugs after 4-6 weeks. Grow on at 60-64 °F (16-18 °C).
- Media: Use a well-drained, growing substrate with 15-30 % clay, 1-1,5 kg/m³ complete balanced fertilizer, iron-chelate, micronutrients, pH: 5.5-6.0.
- Temperature: Grow at 18-20 °C. At the end of the cultivation time decrease the temperature to 16 °C. Avoid temperatures below 16 °C, because Celosia needs warm temperatures to grow.
- Fertilization: Moderate fertilization levels are required. Fertilize the crop weekly with 150-200 ppm nitrogen, using a potassium and phosphate balanced fertilizer (N: K2O-Ratio: 1:1,5). Avoid high ammonium and high nitrogen levels. Prevent magnesium deficiency by applying magnesium sulphate (0,05 %) 1-2 times and in case of iron deficiency apply iron-chelate for 1-2 times.
* Germination Stages (from seed to finished young plant)
Stage I Starts with the radicle breaking through the testa. The roots are touching the medium.
Ends with fully developed cotyledons.
Stage II Starts from fully developed cotyledons. Ends with the fully developed true leaf or true leaf pair.
Stage III Starts from the fully developed true leaf or true leaf pair and ends with 80% of the young plants being marketable.
Stage IV All young plants are ready for sale and in the process of being hardened off. This stage lasts about 7 days.
The cultural recommendations are based on results from trials conducted under Central European conditions. Different conditions in other parts of the world may lead to deviations in results achieved.