Begonia semperflorens-Hybrids, Wax BegoniaItem no. C2760, C2760 / P
- Best selling fibrous begonias in the world
9″ / 23 cm
Sun - Shade
Pelleted & Raw
- Uses: Annual, packs, pots, containers and landscape
- Exposure: Sun - Shade
- Garden height: 9″ / 23 cm
- Crop time: 13-15 weeks
- Sow time: December onwards
- Sowing method: 1-2 seeds/pills per plug
- Germination*: Light is required for germination. 5-10 days at temperatures of 75-80 °F (24-26 °C), and relative humidity levels of 95% or higher. For pelleted seed, slightly higher temperatures and 100% relative humidity aid in uniformity of germination. pH levels of 5.5-6.5 are optimum.
- Growing On: Transplant plugs after 7-9 weeks and grow on at 62-68 °F (16-20 °C). Fertilize weekly with 150 ppm nitrogen watching to avoid excessive salt buildups.
- Media: Use a well-drained, growing substrate, pH 5.5-6.2.
Grow at 17-19 °C. Before selling harden plants at 7-10 °C and
get them used to UV light. Begonia semperflorens does not tolerate frost.
Moderate fertilization levels are required. Fertilize weekly with 100-150 ppm
nitrogen, using a complete balanced fertilizer. High ammonium and high nitrogen levels cause
big foliage. Avoid pH above 6.5, as high pH causes iron deficiency. Apply Fe-chelate if chlorosis
becomes a problem. Avoid high salt levels in substrate.
* Germination Stages (from seed to finished young plant)
Stage I Starts with the radicle breaking through the testa. The roots are touching the medium.
Ends with fully developed cotyledons.
Stage II Starts from fully developed cotyledons. Ends with the fully developed true leaf or true leaf pair.
Stage III Starts from the fully developed true leaf or true leaf pair and ends with 80% of the young plants being marketable.
Stage IV All young plants are ready for sale and in the process of being hardened off. This stage lasts about 7 days.
The cultural recommendations are based on results from trials conducted under Central European conditions. Different conditions in other parts of the world may lead to deviations in results achieved.